Photo by Lola M. Chavez

Firefighters quickly controlled a small blaze inside a top floor apartment in a multi-story residential building on Folsom Street near 24th Street Saturday afternoon. No injuries were reported and firefighters indicated nobody would be displaced.

One firefighter on the scene said the apparent cause was an overheated battery for an electric bicycle, though he did not know how the overheating occurred.

A tenant of the building confirmed no residents would be displaced but declined to comment further.

Firefighters first reported the blaze at 12:06 p.m., and the fire appeared under control by 12:26 p.m.

Debris from the fire on Folsom St. near 24th. Photo by Lola M. Chavez

Follow Us

Founder/Executive Editor. I’ve been a Mission resident since 1998 and a professor emeritus at Berkeley’s J-school since 2019 when I retired. I got my start in newspapers at the Albuquerque Tribune in the city where I was born and raised. Like many local news outlets, The Tribune no longer exists. I left daily newspapers after working at The New York Times for the business, foreign and city desks. Lucky for all of us, it is still there.

As an old friend once pointed out, local has long been in my bones. My Master’s Project at Columbia, later published in New York Magazine, was on New York City’s experiment in community boards.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how you make that long-held interest in local news sustainable. The answer continues to elude me.

Leave a comment

Please keep your comments short and civil. We will zap comments that fail to adhere to these short and very easy-to-follow rules.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *