Police responded to multiple fires in the Mission that took place within an hour of each other on Friday and ended with one arrest. The first report came in at 2:04 a.m. when a 67-year old woman discovered that her Jeep Cherokee, parked at 16th and Folsom streets, had been set on fire by an unknown suspect. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire and the police report no injuries.

Minutes later, at 2:18 a.m, police officers and fire firefighters responded to a trashcan that had been set ablaze near 20th and Capp streets. That fire was also extinguished, and police were not able to locate a suspect in connection with the fire.

The arson spree ended with three more burning trashcans in an approximately two-block radius – one at 20th and Folsom streets, another at Folsom and 18th streets, and the third at 18th and Florida streets, at 2:52 a.m. on Friday. Police report no injuries, and witnesses were able to identify a 41-year-old man who was arrested in connection with the trashcan fires, which appear to be related, said Officer Carlos Manfredi, spokesperson for the San Francisco Police Department.

Manfredi declined to give further information on the suspect, but said that the department’s arson unit is currently investigating whether those fires and the two fires set earlier in the night are related.

Man Beaten with Golf Club

A 24-year-old man was assaulted with a golf club while walking with his boyfriend along Church and Market streets on Thursday. Police report that at 8:35 p.m. the couple passed a man, estimated to be between the ages of 20 and 25, who, unprovoked, flicked a cigarette at the victim. A physical altercation ensued, during which the attacker beat the 24-year-old man to the head and body with a golf club.

When the victim fell to the ground, the suspect bit him in the inner left thigh before fleeing on foot, running west bound on Market Street. The injured man refused medical attention, and police have not made an arrest in connection with the assault.

Three Robberies

Police report a violent robbery at a business near 21st and Valencia streets on Thursday morning. At about 9:35 a.m., an unidentified robber armed with a handgun entered the business demanding money from a 60-year-old man who, along with a 48-year-old man and a 46-year-old female, were inside of the business. After pointing the gun at the 60-year-old victim, the latter proceeded to hand over a large sum of money, police report.

When the 48-year-old man stepped in and tried to prevent the robber from fleeing, the latter pistol-whipped the man and kicked him multiple times, causing injuries to the man’s leg. The robber then fled the scene in an unknown direction, evading arrest.

At 1:30 p.m. on Thursday, a 17-year-old man was robbed of his cell phone, shoes and backpack by a group of four men. The attack took place at Franklin Square Park, near 16th and Bryant streets, where the victim was sitting on a bench with his friends when the group of men, armed with a knife, approached them. According to police, the group “roughed up” the victim before taking his belongings. One of the suspects proceeded to swipe the youth with the knife, causing a non-life threatening injury, before the attackers fled on foot. The youth was transported to the hospital, and police report no arrests in the robbery.

A 37-year-old man was robbed near Shotwell Street and Cesar Chavez Avenue early Friday morning. At about 3:30 a.m., the man was reportedly walking to his car when an unidentified robber attacked him from behind and robbed him of his cell phone, wallet, credit cards and cash. The victim was not injured in the attack, and the robber managed to evade arrest.

Crime is trauma and the county offers different services. Here is a link to a page of services.

Victims of violent crime can also contact the Trauma Recovery Center at UCSF.

Follow Us

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *