Construction workers at a residential building on Folsom Street between 20th and 21st streets had to stop work briefly today because of a loosened gas pipe.

As workers were replacing some of the electrical lines around the house, one worker said, they accidentally hit an older gas service pipeline with a shovel and knocked a connection loose, causing a minor gas leak.

Firefighters responded to the scene, but nothing had ignited. PG&E staff responded to tighten the connection, and workers were able to continue.