A small fire that broke out in a climate control unit on top of the New Mission Theater this afternoon was quickly extinguished by firefighters and left minimal damage.
“We were halfway through ‘The Revenant’ when all of a sudden one of the ushers comes up and says, ‘You’re going to have to leave, the building is on fire,'” said movie-goer Tom Leahy, standing outside with a cluster of other evacuated Alamo Drafthouse customers.
Firefighters arrived on scene and extended a ladder to the roof, finding the offending unit merely smoldering, according to Acting Assistant Chief Kirk Richardson. He said the only damage to the roof was some roofing material, not structural. Firefighters doused the embers in water and departed.
The Alamo’s Liz Duran said the only aftermath the cinema had to deal with was some excess water on the roof and some reshuffled showtimes.