A fire broke out early Wednesday morning at a two-story apartment building at 3412 26th Street on the corner of Osage Alley.  No one was injured, but all five tenants have been displaced. According to the San Francisco Fire Department, the fire started in the light well in the bathroom on the first floor.

Photo by Lola M. Chavez

Photo by Lola M. Chavez

Firefighters, sometimes working from the rooftops of nearby buildings, got the fire under control by 2 a.m. or so.

Olga Baltodomo, a resident of the building for 12 years, said that the five tenants lived in two units – one on the ground floor and the other on the second floor. Baltodomo lives on the second floor with Luis Mucia, who has lived there for two months. Mucia said the  fire department told tenants they could not remain there as the building is unsafe.

“We can’t live there anymore,” said Mucia. “There’s no water, no power, no nothing.”

Mucia also said that compared to other buildings on the block, their home and its facilities are old and have not been renovated, which,  he added,  may have caused the fire.


The fire started in the light well in the back of the bathroom. The photo shows the destroyed back wall and the floor covered in soot. Photo by Meira Gebel.

Baltodomo said that in the 12 years she has lived there, the landlord, Ernesto Alonzo, has not maintained the building.

“He never fixed anything,” said Baltodomo. Alonzo could not be reached for comment.

Lissette A., who lives on the first floor, said that she and the other residents are currently waiting for the fire department to give them more instructions on when they will be able to return. The fire department declined to comment on the subject.


A hole in the wall of the back left unit, due to the fire that began in the bathroom of the first floor. Photo by Meira Gebel.

Another resident of the first floor, Shanya Ferymat, said that she has reached out to the Red Cross for help. Ferymat has lived in the building for four years and said that in an emergency like this, she has nowhere to go.

“I don’t know what’s next,” said Ferymat, who has tried to call the owner.