En Español.

Edson Lacayo, a 29-year-old San Francisco resident, died of gunshot wounds last night, and police are still searching for two suspects.

Officers responded to reports of shots fired in the 800 block of Hampshire Street at approximately 11:30 p.m. on Tuesday. When they arrived, they found a man with three gunshot wounds. He was pronounced dead at the scene, said Officer Carlos Manfredi.

A woman who declined to give her name said that Lacayo lived a couple of houses down from where he was shot.

A nearby resident, who also declined to give his name because of fear of retaliation, said he was watching TV when he heard six loud bangs.

“It sounded like firecrackers,” he said. “It’s not the Fourth of July, what’s going on?”

The man, who has lived in the neighborhood for more than 20 years, said that the last time he heard of a shooting in that area was 10 years ago, when someone tried to rob the corner liquor store. He noted, however, that he doesn’t feel safe at night, and would rather drive than walk.

The woman, who said she knew the victim, described him as a father who could often be seen walking around the neighborhood with his pit bull.

“He was such a nice guy,” she said. “I feel bad for the family. You are not promised today, you are barely promised this second.”

A group of people gathered at the scene of the shooting this morning, including a sobbing man who was walking a pit bull. All declined to comment. An altar has sprouted up, with candles and a stuffed toy of the Looney Toons cartoon character Tasmanian Devil.

This is the third murder in the Mission this year, following Tuesday’s shooting of a Hog & Rocks line cook who was mistaken for a Sureño gang member, police said.

It’s not known whether the Hampshire Street shooting is connected to yesterday’s shooting, police said.

“We have a lot of people out on the street in anticipation of retaliation,” said Mission Police Chief Greg Corrales at a community meeting yesterday. “We are back to a full-court press.”