Firefighters put out a single-alarm fire late Sunday at an apartment at 750 Guerrero St. and rescued a tenant living in the ground floor unit, an official at the Red Cross said Monday.
The fire was reported shortly after 11 p.m. Sunday in a single unit on the first floor of a three-floor building between 19th and Cumberland streets.
The tenant, whose name has not been released, remains in the hospital. The extent of his injuries are unknown at this time.
The second person in the apartment, a middle-aged male guest, suffered minor smoke inhalation and was released early this morning, according to Aaron Litwin the manager of Disaster Services for the Red Cross.
Firefighters rescued the tenant after his guest escaped through the window, Litwin said.
Litwin, who responded to the fire, said the living room of the apartment was completely “gutted.”
Erben Tornell, the owner of the building said he has not accessed the damage yet, but added that it was limited to a single unit on the first floor.
Tornell added that he did not know the victims personally, but said that the hospitalized tenant was already living in the building when he acquired it 20 years ago.
The guest released today did not have a place to stay and checked into a motel. He received money for emergency clothing.