A group of people stand outside a room marked "The Mayor" in a building with marble walls and American flags.
Families going into Room 200 to deliver their letter. Photo by Xueer Lu. Jan. 21, 2025.

Homeless families housed in shelters across the city and facing evictions on Feb. 8 or 10 will be granted a 30-day reprieve, city officials said.

The decision, made by the Department of Homelessness and Supportive Housing, followed a letter personally delivered to the mayor’s office on Jan. 21 by half a dozen families, which Mission Local covered

Deborah Bouck, a spokesperson for the homelessness department, said, “everyone was getting” an automatic one-time 30-day extension, now that the department has “updated the policy.” Bouck added that “families are encouraged to work with their case managers to continue the journey of resolving their homelessness.”

Bouck was referring to a policy adopted in December, which reinstated the 90-day limit for families in city shelters that was in place prior to the Covid-19 pandemic. The policy change in December allows shelters to authorize up to three extensions of 30 days each, based on the family’s circumstances. 

This automatic one-time 30-day extension is included in these three possible extensions that shelter providers can authorize. Emily Cohen, deputy director for communications and legislative affairs for the department, said that “it’s important to note that further extensions are possible with the approval of HSH and in alignment of the policy.”

The affected families, however, still feel insecure about such an update. Matt Alexander, the lead organizer for Faith in Action Bay Area, who delivered the Jan. 21 letter alongside the homeless families, said that, as of this morning, only some of the families have heard of the automatic extension. Alexander added that the families have only heard of it through a verbal notice from the shelters, with nothing in writing yet. 

Neither Faith in Action nor any of the homeless families has received any response from the mayor’s office, Alexander said. Mission Local reached out to the mayor’s office on Jan. 23, asking if Mayor Daniel Lurie had read the letter or responded to it, but was referred to the homeless department.

A group of people, including children in strollers and a person in a wheelchair, listen to a speaker in a wood-paneled room with chandeliers and a red carpet.
Families delivering their letter to the mayor’s office. Photo by Xueer Lu. Jan. 21, 2025.

There are currently 305 households enrolled in family shelters, according to data from the Department of Homelessness and Supportive Housing’s online navigation and entry system. Of those, 253 households, 83 percent, are families with children. The other 52 are families that include a person who is pregnant.

At the same time, almost the same number of families, some 308 of them, are still waiting to get into the shelters, where they will only be able to stay for a total of 120 days under the most recent policy without further extensions. It figures that the extensions granted the families in the shelters will result in longer waits for those outside. 

Alexander said that, so far, some 20 families have reached out to Faith in Action Bay Area regarding the eviction notices. 

Veronica Coto, who is staying at Raphael House near the Tenderloin with her son, was originally facing eviction Feb. 10. She attended a Faith In Action Bay Area meeting this morning, hoping to get an update since she and others last delivered the letter to Room 200 at City Hall last week. 

“We basically realized that we need to put more pressure on the mayor, because clearly we are not being listened to,” Coto said. “We delivered the letter a week ago, but we have not received any response.”

Follow Us

Xueer works on data and covers the Excelsior. She graduated from UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism with a Master's Degree. She is bilingual journalist fluent in Mandarin. In her downtime, she enjoys cooking, scuba diving and photography.

Join the Conversation

7 Comments

  1. I am a single parent, who is no longer homeless. From my homelessness experience I can say that there are some families that don’t want to do anything to solve their problems to find a new housing. I cried seeing them so helpless at first, but after talking with the county staff, I was told that some of them are just simply satisfied with not being paid bills anymore, getting free food and other benefits. Some of them work but some of them just simple do NOTHING for months or even YEARS. Government should force and teach them to do something, cause there are others waiting for the room to live in.

    0
    0
    votes. Sign in to vote
    1. Honest question: why should anyone give a disembodied voice’s factless claim that it was once homeless the benefit of the doubt that its former homelessness is indeed a fact? Especially in light of the fact that, if it’s true the alleged ‘staff’ spilled the beans on its clients, then they most certainly committed egregious HIPAA violations. Instead of reporting the legally compromised staff to the proper authorities—like any individual with a conscience would have—you thoughtlessly parroted the privileged client information for all the world to view. For what purpose? To prove some ideological ‘truth’? Thus, I can’t help but think that you’ve never experienced a day homeless in your life.

      0
      0
      votes. Sign in to vote
Leave a comment
Please keep your comments short and civil. Do not leave multiple comments under multiple names on one article. We will zap comments that fail to adhere to these short and easy-to-follow rules.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *