- This event has passed.
BAVC: APP FAQ
October 16 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
If you’re in the process of developing a documentary film, you’ll likely find yourself working on submissions for grants and fellowships that use the Documentary Core Application, a standardized application developed by IDA and the Sundance Institute. This standardization has hopefully made asking for support much easier, but you probably still have questions! BAVC wants to help you and your film succeed, so we’ve gathered a panel of funders and frequent application readers to shed light on the process.
Learn from decision-makers what matters most when writing your application. Ask your pressing questions and get the advice you need to put your film in the best light for funders.
You’ll find answers to questions like…
• What are reviewers are looking for in a work sample?
• Who is an appropriate reference to list?
• Do reviewers watch for any “red flags” when reading applications?
On our panel will be…
• Jannet Nuñez, Content Development Manager, ITVS
• Janis Plotkin, Program Director, Berkeley FILM Foundation
• John Lightfoot, Senior Program Officer, California Humanities
• Megan Gelstein, Senior Program Director, Catapult Film Fund
• Sophie Gunther, Artist Development Manager of Film Funds, SFFILM
• and more!
BAVC Members who are cannot attend this event in person will have access to an exclusive live stream and an opportunity to submit questions in advance.
The Documentary Core Application is a collaborative effort by grantors who regularly fund documentary projects to standardize application requirements, with the aim of fostering greater access and a more equitable and sustainable documentary field. Along with the International Documentary Association and the Sundance Institute, funders like BAVC, Berkeley Film Foundation, Catapult Film Fund, California Humanities, Chicken and Egg Pictures, Film Independent, Frameline, ITVS, Latino Public Broadcasting, SFFILM, and Tribeca Film Institute also use the Documentary Core Application to consider projects for support.