Three Suspects Detained in Officer’s Shooting

The scene earlier in the day in Daly City. Photo by Sergio Quintana @svqjournalist

En Español.

A car chase that cut across four counties and lasted one and a half hours ended at 12:30 a.m. Sunday morning in San Jose with the arrest of three individuals police believe are connected to the Saturday afternoon shooting of a Mission District police officer.

The 28-year-old officer, whose name has not been released, is in stable condition at San Francisco General Hospital, according to police.

“The suspects’ information will not be released at this point as they need to be interviewed and charges determined by our investigators,” wrote Police Officer Gordon Shyy in a press release issued this morning at 1:24 a.m.

Saturday’s drama began at 2:45 p.m. when a Mission patrol car was called to investigate an incident of “malicious mischief” that allegedly involved a man in a car on Florida Street between 25th and 26th streets.   Malicious mischief includes vandalism and graffiti, according to the police code.

When the officer approached the driver’s window, the driver shot him in the left arm. The car began to back up and the officer’s partner shot at the car, breaking a window, police said.

The shooter took off and the car was later discovered in Daly City, police said. (Earlier police reported Pacifica.)

Police set up a staging area near Serramonte Center and launched a nearly three-hour manhunt through nearby neighborhoods.

As the investigation continued throughout the night, Shyy wrote,  police developed a lead to a white sedan traveling toward the East Bay.

At 11 p.m. the San Francisco police called in California Highway Patrol.

The state patrol “attempted to stop the vehicle” on I-80 at Carlson in Richmond but the white sedan evaded police Shyy wrote.

The chase was on.   The California Highway Patrol followed the white sedan through Alameda, Solano and Contra Costa Counties into Danville and towards San Jose.

After a one and a half hour chase, suspects were detained without incident on McKee and North 33rd Street in San Jose.

After a one and a half hour chase, suspects were detained without incident on McKee and North 33rd Street in San Jose.

“At approximately 12:30 a.m., the pursuit terminated at McKee and North 33rd Street in San Jose,” and three individuals were detained.

In the 1:24 a.m. press release, Officer Shyy wrote that San Francisco police officers were en route to San Jose. “This is still an active investigation,” wrote Officer Shyy.

You may also like:


  1. John

    Good. Life without parole please.

  2. pete

    Good job. I just wish they would deal with all shootings this seriously.

  3. John

    I live right where this happened. I’m glad they got that guy. I saw him on TV. That’s the POS. He been coming around here for a while.

Comments are closed.

Full name required to post. For full details, read our Policy