The Bay Area Video Coalition offers free media training programs for youth ages 14-18. With this training, they strive to give youth the skills and experience necessary to conquer the world, hopefully with a portfolio in hand. They also have a lot of fun at these after-school programs, as you can tell from the video above.
This year there are five tracks and the kids can apply to one of them:
• Sound Bytes: Audio Engineering + Storytelling Through Sound
• Reel Life: Beginning Video Production
• G:URL Gaming (female-only track)
• BUMP Records: Advanced Multimedia for Musicians
• The Factory: Advanced Video Production
The classes are small (12 students per class) with an instructor and a teaching assistant. The groups meet twice a week from October 1, 2014-May 28, 2015. Here’s some of the stuff they learn:
• Participate in quarterly soft skill workshops covering resume and cover letter writing and mock interviews;
• Participate in quarterly college advising and support opportunities;
• Build a network and broader perspective of media arts/technology careers through career panels, field trips and guest speakers; and,
• Get advised by mentors, peers and industry professionals.