Land in San Francisco is scarce and valuable — that’s an understatement. So why is it that the city is not making the best use of the roughly 6,000 acres — 20 percent of the city’s land — it owns? A grand jury report scolds the city for letting these properties decay.
One example of this is at 1950 Mission St., which has been vacant since 2002. Most recently the city offered the space to the former Occupy encampment, which eventually did not materialize.
The 1950 Mission Street site is a 36,398 square foot parcel owned by the SFUSD and situated between 15th and 16th Streets in the heart of the dynamic Mission district. The paved site is surrounded by a high chain link fence and contains 12,300 square feet of mothballed, deteriorating modular portable buildings which once housed the Phoenix Continuation High School. It has been abandoned and listed as surplus property for many years by SFUSD. This property is a blight on its neighborhood. It suffers from years of inaction. If put to use it would meet housing needs, generate income for the SFUSD and tax revenue for the City.